Kyle Busch-Joey Logano brawl brings buzz to NASCAR CupMarch 13, 2017 6:43am

LAS VEGAS (AP) — The introduction of stage racing has so far provided the intended effect of spicing up the NASCAR Cup Series.

But nothing beats a good old-fashioned brawl to get everyone buzzing.

Martin Truex Jr. wasn't immune. After taking advantage of Brad Keselowski's mechanical issues to sweep all three segments and take Sunday's race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Truex came into the media center and was asked about the Kyle Busch-Joey Logano pit-road brawl.

"Who won?" Truex asked reporters.

Told that Busch ended up with a bloody forehead, Truex wanted details.

"Haymaker swings?" he replied as play-by-play trickled out. "Wow, I'm sure NASCAR is going to love that one."

And after Truex finished taking questions, he huddled in front of a tablet to watch what happened, an incident that provided the first big spark to the 2017 season.

Truex Jr. passed Brad Keselowski with two laps to go. And just before he crossed the finish line with his eighth career victory, Logano got into Busch as they raced for third.

Busch's car spun onto pit road. Fireworks followed in a city used to hosting big-time fights, just not like this.

"It was nothing intentional," Logano said. "But obviously he thinks that."

As Truex headed toward victory circle, video showed Busch walking down pit road, then turning right and throwing a right hook at Logano's face. Logano's crew members brought Busch to the ground as NASCAR officials yelled for them to stop.

When they were separated and Busch got to his feet, he had a bloody gash above his right eye.

"There wasn't much talking, just a lot of swinging," Logano said. "I was racing hard there at end."

Busch, who had recovered from a speeding penalty that left him a lap down to get into contention, was escorted to the infield care center and quickly released as the track buzzed.

"I got dumped. He flat out just drove straight in the corner and wrecked me," Busch said. "That's how Joey races, so he's going to get it."

The fight overshadowed a dominating day for Truex and a tough-luck finish for Keselowski, who appeared to be pulling away after a restart and on his way to his second win in as many weeks when he ran into mechanical problems.

"I just know it was something major," he said. "It wouldn't turn and I lost brakes."

Truex passed him and held on to become the first driver to win all three segments in NASCAR Cup's new stage racing.

Kyle Larson was second, followed by Chase Elliott, Logano and Keselowski.

Truex re-took the lead with 39 laps to go after a lengthy cycle of green-flag pit stops. After a hard-charging Keselowski went in front, Danica Patrick blew an engine, bringing out a caution.

Keselowski, who started from the pole, just beat Truex out of pit road road after their four-tire stops. He chose the outside lane on the restart and shot ahead until his car slowed at the end of the 267-lap race.

That gave Toyota a win after Ford victories in the season's first two races.

"I've been on the other side of those things plenty of times, so it definitely feels good to take advantage of somebody else's issue for once," Truex said.

Denny Hamlin was sixth, followed by Ryan Blaney, Jamie McMurray, Matt Kenseth and Clint Bowyer.

Jimmie Johnson was 11th, marking the first time since he became a full-time driver in 2002 that he has failed to have a top-10 finish in the first three races.

As Dale Earnhardt Jr. finished 16th, Kevin Harvick's hope of bouncing back from a disappointing finish at Atlanta lasted only 68 laps. He crashed hard into the wall when his right front tire exploded.

The bigger explosion came at the end. NASCAR had no immediate comment on the incident, although penalties could come this week.

"Kyle and I usually race well together and don't have any issues," Logano said before adding, "We'll move on."

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

NASCAR suspends crew chiefs for Keselowski and HarvickNASCAR has suspended the crew chiefs for Brad Keselowski and Kevin Harvick for violations at Phoenix Raceway
FILE - In this Friday, Nov. 11, 2016, file photo, Conor McGregor stands on a scale during the weigh-in event for his fight against Eddie Alvarez in UFC 205 mixed martial arts at Madison Square Garden in New York. Nevada athletic officials have significantly reduced the penalty they imposed on UFC star Conor McGregor following a profanity-laced, bottle-throwing fracas with a rival during a pre-fight news conference in Las Vegas. The Nevada Athletic Commission on Wednesday, March 22, 2017, approved an agreement with McGregor that settled the disciplinary action with a $25,000 fine, 25 hours of community service and the state's legal costs. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez, File)
UFC star McGregor's fine for Vegas pre-bout fracas reduced
FILE- In this March 13, 2017, file photo, North Carolian Gov. Roy Cooper delivers his first State of the State address to a joint session of the state legislature in the House chamber of the Legislative Building in Raleigh, N.C. The NCAA said Thursday, March 23, that it will start deciding on locations for its upcoming championships next week and has indicated it will leave North Carolina out of that process if the state hasn't changed a law that limits LGBT rights by that time. (Chris Seward/The News & Observer via AP, File)
NCAA set to pick title sites, could leave North Carolina out
APNewsBreak: 124 Illinois prison nurses get layoff noticesIllinois Gov. Bruce Rauner's administration has told 124 prison nurses that their jobs are being privatized, a move their union blasted as retaliation for its rejection of a contract offer last year
Christopher Few, left, walks with attorney Mark Jeansonne to the courthouse in Marksville, La., Tuesday, March 21, 2017. Derrick Stafford, a Louisiana law enforcement officer, is charged with murder in the shooting death of Few's 6-year-old autistic. Few was also wounded in the shooting. (AP Photo/Michael Kunzelman)
Father: No warning before officers fired on car, killing son
FILE - In this  Nov. 30, 2016 file photo, artwork and signatures cover a fence around the Pulse nightclub, scene of a mass shooting, in Orlando, Fla.  A personal injury attorney representing some of the families and survivors of the Orlando nightclub massacre filed a lawsuit Wednesday, March 22, 2017,  against the gunman's employer and wife, claiming they were able to stop Omar Mateen before the attack but didn't. The lawsuit was filed  in federal court in South Florida on behalf of more than four dozen of the survivors and family members of those killed at Pulse nightclub last June.  (AP Photo/John Raoux)
Nightclub shooting victims sue gunman's employer, wife
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices